cinmoobun: “Decorating my room when suddenly.. “Hey! Get down from there! >. – #acnlroom
Online gaming has quickly become a common and universal aspect of pop culture. The unit for better graphics and realistic games has resulted in the advancement and sophistication of software and hardware as well as animation and graphic design in games.
The online market has grown rapidly with growth of 44 percent in 2000, when it was worth approximately USD 6.5 billion. The progress and accessibility of the Internet to an increasing number of people is the main reason for this exponential growth.
The variety found in online games
These are a type of game where players interact with a server. Some also allow players to interact with other players.
They can be of several types. One classification is:
- Simulation: These involve strategic thinking as the player is put into simulation of an experience.
- Role Playing: These allow players to play a role in a particular environment; these are scenario-centered games.
- Multi-user dimension: These are also role-playing, however, they are text-oriented; they stimulate the involvement of a cyber community in their games.
- Shooting: These were developed from arcade shooting games; the main game involves shooting at a target and hitting it.
What draws people to online gaming?
There are several factors affecting popularity such as dazzling graphics and sound, easy access and widespread availability of online games as well as the feelings of excitement and excitement that are felt when people play these games. People play repeatedly and spend a lot of time and money behind them because it gives them pleasure. The motivation to play depends on the rewarding experience these games provide. These have a great opportunity to lose, so it poses a challenge and a concrete goal. Being able to meet the challenge and win despite the odds gives the players a sense of achievement and self-efficacy.
However, this also contributes to the risk of gambling addiction.
Play them benefits, believe it or not
Although they have been regularly criticized for their negative effects such as encouraging violence, cyberbullying and xenophobia, there has been research to prove that online gambling benefits the players. Some of these are:
- Online games that are action-based can improve specific cognitive abilities because they involve a certain amount of training and brain plasticity is affected by it. They require the activity of the senses, rapid processing of information, adaptively as these games are challenging and the difficulty increases after each success.
- Shooting games improve the range of attention because they require sensory discrimination and prompt information processing, as well as monitoring the entire part of the screen or gaming environment.
- Women who played visuo-spatial puzzle games were found to have improved visual-spatial performance and this improvement was maintained even after 5 months. In addition, visual contrast sensitivity was shown to improve in young adults after playing shooting games.